Monday 23 February 2015

Just a little bit respect...


I know, I'm a bit late... But this is a post I really didn't want to rush so I decided to let it simmer a bit and write this when I was in the right 'zone'.
I want to talk to you guys about respect and what I feel and think when I hear this word. How the world seems to not care about it as much these days. Yes, very different from what I usually do, but I think it's something worth spreading.



I think it's best to start with why I'm so passionate - if that's the right term - about showing respect to people and just everything in general. It's a way of letting people know you appreciate the things they do or even to let them know they are appreciated themselves.
Actually, it's a word I try to live by. I want to be respected by others, therefore I have to respect these people in the first place. 'When you give something, you gain something' I like to believe.

Sadly, I know, this isn't always the case. It has happened more than once to me that I walk around doing nothing to upset anyone and out of nowhere, someone just pushes me or even - indirectly - insults me. It also happens at work. Most of our customers are very polite and respectfull, but you have the odd one that seems to have picked up this strange hobby to make the lives of those working in our store miserable.

But it's not only around me. When I have a bad day, I can be an absolute b***. There's no other way to put it. It's those days that I snap to people around me and just show no more respect. I try to not do this whenever I notice I am being this way, but sometimes I can't help it and I know there's no excuse. But I - and maybe you too - have to remember; you can't get anywhere with an attitude like that. Only respect leads to open doors.

Another example - which really irritates me: people talking during lectures. A couple of years ago, I used to be one of these people. But I discovered that I really didn't help myself and certainly not anyone else by doing this. It's OK to ask a small question or explain something. Don't go on and tell your life's story because it's really not relevant during that time. It's also really disrespectful towards the teacher/professor/... who has put effort into putting that lecture together and has a mission to teach people like us how to be what we want to be in the future. They want to help us, but if you're disturbing their lecture, you're not only rejecting their help but add in an extra slap in their face.

Respect is so much more than all this. It's also respecting nature or just your city by not throwing garbage everywhere. It's holding a door when there's someone behind you. But most importantly, it's accepting other humans the way they are. But that could be a whole other ramble.
What I hope you get out of this post is that, even though it's hard sometimes, it's important to be respectful towards others if you want to be respected yourself. That includes thinking twice before you start trashtalking about someone you don't really know (another subject I might write about in the future).

I hope you enjoyed a post like this! I tried to keep it short and simple. Let me know if you want more posts with a non-beauty related theme and I might bring it to you!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment